Russian Based Malware Found All Over the World
A new Russian-based malware variant, deemed SquirtDanger, has been spreading throughout the globe. SquirtDanger was developed by a single, sophisticated author, who leaves the malicious distribution method up to the hackers. However, the variant has been found spreading primarily through a Trojan download. Upon infection, the malicious software collects data every single minute, and reports its findings back to the hacker. The information collected ranges from screenshots, passwords, files, and even crypto-currencies.
With the plethora of information that can be obtained, both home and business users have been impacted. Although, no specific industry has been targeted. This malware has been used to cast a wide net, with the hope that several users bite.
Best practices to avoid becoming the next victim of cyber attacks include:
- Keep operating systems updated
- Use proper patch management to ensure third-party applications and software are kept updated
- Take part in cyber security training
- Be cautious of what attachments and applications users download
- Install a security solution that implements application whitelisting
951 total views, 1 views today